All faculty, staff and students officially affiliated with Penn State as well as residents of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania are permitted to register with the Libraries. Faculty, staff and students are eligible for Penn State IDs that will serve as library cards. Pennsylvania state residents having proper ID (PA drivers license or state ID) with current address will be issued a Resident Borrowers card by the Libraries.
Pennsylvania state residents not affiliated with Penn State may register with the University Libraries by presenting a PA Drivers’ license or other proof of residency at a Library service desk.
ACQUIRING AN ACCESS ACCOUNT
- In order to access the library’s on-line services and resources requiring authentication in The CAT, non-Penn State patrons must have a Friends of Penn State (FPS) Account ID. To register for a FPS account, visit Create a Friends of Penn State Account.
- For information on maps, hours, parking, and other questions, visit Information and Services.
- Borrowing privileges for community members can be found by visiting Common Services – Borrowing Privileges.
SEARCHING THE LIBRARY’S RESOURCES
- To access the Library’s resources, go to Penn State University Libraries
- To search for media materials (DVDs and CDs):
Go to the Libraries’ website at Penn State University Libraries
In the “Start Here” box, type in the appropriate search term or to search by media type, click on “Advanced Search.” Select “video material” in Media Type, and fill in the appropriate search term.
- You may also search for databases in an A-Z list by title at Databases By Title (A-Z)
To view world newspapers, visit “PressDisplay”
For world music online, visit “Smithsonian Global Sound”
- For interlibrary loan, visit Interlibrary Loan
You must complete a separate registration form to request items through interlibrary loan; you can then search the CAT or WorldCAT from this location.