This module was funded by the CGS and developed for the Midwest Institute for International/Intercultural Education’s workshop, “Human Migrations, Global Networks and Leadership.”
Name: Layla Goushey
College: St. Louis Community College
Course Title and Number: IDS 103 -Interdisciplinary Studies (English/Education) Topics in Arab Culture
Module Title: Migration: Teaching Palestine and Israel
Narrative Description of the Module
A multiple narrative, people’s history approach is used to place the Palestine-Israeli conflict in historical context with broader global migration patterns. Key aspects of the One-State Solution will be considered as the next step to this migratory phenomenon.
Educational Objectives of the Module
- Explain social, economic, and political causes of human migration
- Explain social, economic, and political causes of European immigration to Palestine
- Articulate multiple narratives that drive the Palestine-Israeli issue
- Describe key points of the one-state solution for Palestine-Israel
Outline of Lectures/Discussions Used to Implement the Module
Human Migration – Causes, Patterns, History
History of Zionism and Israel
Palestine in History
Listing of Audio-Visuals Used to Implement the Module
Jewish Immigration to Palestine
Forget Baghdad (film)
House of Saud (film) — This film can be borrowed from the Penn State Libraries via www.cat.libraries.psu.edu and by searching for DS244.52.H687
Jewish refugees reach Palestine HD Stock Footage
The Forgotten Refugees – 1,000,000 Jews Expelled (Part 1)
Cyprus – Jewish Immigrants Arrive (1946)
Palestine in History
1936–1939 Arab Revolt in Palestine – 1930 Al-Qassam Jihad – 1939 MacDonald White Paper
John Mearsheimer: Inevitability of the One State Solution
Student Readings/Writing/Field/Experiential Assignments Used to Implement the Module
Human Migration (Palestine – Israel in Context with larger migration patterns)
National Geographic: Map of Human Migration
Encyclopædia Britannica: Human Migration
History of International Migration: The Migration to North America
Council on Foreign Relations: China’s Internal Migrants
Slate: The Atlantic Slave Trade in Two Minutes
Vox: Why African Americans Left the South in Droves — And What’s Bringing Them Back
The Guardian: We Walk Together: A Syrian Family’s Journey to the Heart of Europe
Reuters: U.N. to Move 10,000 Migrants from Libya in 2018
Euronews: Record 5,000 Migrants Drown in Mediterranean in 2016
Student Evaluation/Testing Regarding the Module
- In preparation for the lecture on Human Migration review information at the link BBC Bitesize – Migration and write a reader response summary (200 words)
- View film House of Saud and write a 600 word description of how the film represents the historic dimensions of the Palestine-Israel issue.
- Read article about Zionism and write a 200-300 word description of Zionism.
- View film Forget Baghdad and write a 600 word description of how the film represents the historic dimensions of the Palestine-Israel issue.
- View video collection and explain how the events depicted fit within the causes of human migration as represented in the BBC-Migration link. Write a comparative analysis essay that explains the causes of Jewish migration to Palestine and the causes of continuing existence of Palestinian refugees in the Arab world.
- Write an essay that describes strengths and weaknesses of the One State Solution from within the context of human migratory causes.
Reader Response – Migration – 20 points
Viewer Response – House of Saud – 25 points
Viewer Response – Forget Baghdad – 25 points
Comparative Analysis Essay Migration/Israel/Palestine – 30 points
Final Paper – One State Solution – 100 points
Resources (Bibliography) Used to Develop-Implement the Module
“1936–1939 Arab Revolt In Palestine – 1930 Al-Qassam Jihad – 1939 Macdonald White Paper.” Youtube, 2018.
Abunimah, Ali. One Country. New York, Metropolitan Books, 2006.Kalideen, Savera, and Haidar Eid. “A One State Solution for the Palestine-Israel Conflict: An Interview with Ali Abunimah.” Nebula, vol. 5, no. 3, 2008, pp. 78.
“BBC – GCSE Bitesize: What Is Migration?” Bbc.Co.Uk, 2018.
“China’s Internal Migrants.” Council On Foreign Relations, 2018.
“Cyprus – Jewish Immigrants Arrive (1946).” Youtube, 2018.
“Forget Baghdad”, director. 2002,.
“Human Migration.” Encyclopedia Britannica, 2018.
“Jewish Refugees Reach Palestine HD Stock Footage.” Youtube, 2018.
“John Mearsheimer: Inevitability Of The One State Solution.” Youtube, 2018.
Kahn, Andrew, and Jamelle Bouie. “This Haunting Animation Maps The Journeys Of 15,790 Slave Ships In Two Minutes.” Slate Magazine, 2018.
Kalideen, Savera, and Haidar Eid. “A One State Solution for the Palestine-Israel Conflict: An Interview with Ali Abunimah.” Nebula, vol. 5, no. 3, 2008, pp. 78.
Khouri, M. “Memory and the Reconciliation of Diasporas: Cinematic Trace of Arab National Identity in the Film Forget Baghdad.” Comparative Studies of South Asia, Africa and the Middle East, vol. 30 no. 1, 2010, pp. 85-91. Project MUSE.
Lalami, Laila. Hope And Other Dangerous Pursuits. Orlando, Harcourt, 2006,.
“Map Of Human Migration.” Genographic Project, 2018.
“One-State Solution Explained – CNN Video.” CNN, 2018.
“Palestine 1896.” Youtube, 2018.
“Record 5,000 Migrants Drown In Mediterranean In 2016.” Euronews, 2018.
“Al-Nakba.” Aljazeera.Com, 2018.
“SS St Louis The Ship Of Jewish Refugees Nobody Wanted.” Youtube, 2018.
“The Migration To North America.” Let.Leidenuniv.Nl, 2018.
Tilley, Virginia. One-State Solution: A Breakthrough for Peace in the Israeli-Palestinian Deadlock. University of Michigan PressEbsco Publishing [Distributor], Ann Arbor : Ipswich, 2005;2010;, doi:10.3998/mpub.94535.
“U.N. To Move 10,000 Migrants From Libya In 2018.” U.S., 2018.
“Who We Are UNRWA.” UNRWA, 2018.
“Why African Americans Left The South In Droves — And What’S Bringing Them Back.” Vox, 2018.