Standards (Grades 9-10)
- Standard – CC.8.5.9-10.A
Cite specific textual evidence to support analysis of primary and secondary sources, attending to such features as the date and origin of the information.
- Standard – CC.8.5.9-10.B
Determine the central ideas or information of a primary or secondary source; provide an accurate summary of how key events or ideas develop over the course of the text.
- Standard – CC.8.5.9-10.I
Compare and contrast treatments of the same topic in several primary and secondary sources.
- Standard – 8.4.9.A
Compare the role groups and individuals played in the social, political, cultural, and economic development throughout world history.
Standards (Grades 11-12)
- Standard – CC.8.5.11-12.A
Cite specific textual evidence to support analysis of primary and secondary sources, connecting insights gained from specific details to an understanding of the text as a whole.
- Standard – CC.8.5.11-12.B
Determine the central ideas or information of a primary or secondary source; provide an accurate summary that makes clear the relationships among the key details and ideas.
- Standard – CC.8.5.11-12.I
Integrate information from diverse sources, both primary and secondary, into a coherent understanding of an idea or event, noting discrepancies among sources.
- Standard – 8.4.12.A
Evaluate the role groups and individuals played in the social, political, cultural, and economic development throughout world history.
The BIG Idea
Aung San Suu Kyi, the daughter of General Aung San, is the leader of the democratic movement and is the epitome of peace and freedom in Myanmar.
Learn who Aung San Suu Kyi is and the role she plays in Myanmar’s democratic movement.
Homework (to be done before class)
The questions following the article below can either be assigned as written homework or discussed in class the following day.
Read the BBC profile, Aung San Suu Kyi. Who is Aung San Suu Kyi? What are the similarities and differences between she and her father, General Aung San?
Activity (in class)
- Watch Who is Aung San Suu Kyi and the trailer of the movie, The Lady, which depicts the life of Aung San Suu Kyi.
- Discuss the following question: What role did Aung San Suu Kyi play in the democratic movement in Myanmar?
- Watch the documentary, Myanmar’s Turn by 101 East. How has the country changed since the 2010 election?
- Small group brainstorming activity (verbal discussion in a seminar form in groups of 4-6): How has Myanmar’s democratic movement changed the country? Compare and contrast the democratic movement in the United States and Myanmar. Do you think democracy can work in Myanmar? Why?
Who is Aung San Suu Kyi? (Video)
Myanmar’s Turn: 101 East (Video)