Time Frame: 45 minute class period
Standards: PA World History Standards
5.1.W.B Analyze how conflict and cooperation among groups and organizations have influenced the history and development of the world. (Reference History Standards 8.3.9.D.)
5.2.W.B Analyze strategies used to resolve conflicts in society and government.
6.1.W.B Analyze how conflict and cooperation among groups and organizations have impacted the control of limited resources in the world.
7.3.W.A Analyze the human characteristics of places and regions using the following criteria: population,culture, settlement, economic and political activities.
8.4.W.C Evaluate how continuity and change have impacted the world today.
- Students will understand the study of political, social, and economic patterns reveals continuity and change over time.
- Students will understand that culture is a unifying and controversial force in understanding human interaction.
Specific Learning Outcomes/Objectives
- Examine the Universal Declaration of Human Rights and apply the provisions to current events.
- Evaluate different viewpoints regarding human rights and subsequent violations in the world today.
- Universal Declaration of Human Rights
- Video – Human rights Wissenweirten
- PDF: Where do you stand game
Activities and Procedures
- Where do you stand? Create game board — 16 statements – adapted from Understand the Law, Part I: The Individual and Society, SCDC Publications/The Law Society, (Published by Edward Arnold, 1988); further developed by Mike Pasternak and by Susan Patterson, who introduced it at the International Festival of Tolerance, Terezin, Czech Republic, 1998-2000
- For this activity, I have the students line up on the one side of the classroom. There are three places that they can go for each statement. Designate one area of the room for In most cases, another for in all cases, and finally a last section for in a few cases.
- Depending on time, you can use 3-16 of the questions. I give the statement, allow time to move around the class, and then discuss answers.
- Human Rights notes – google slide show
- Video: human rights wissen weirten
- HW – Choose a human rights issue and briefly (one paragraph) summarize the issue — check out amnesty international etc.